Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Day!

Happy Leap Day to you all!
I still think that it's strange that every four years has one extra day. A leap year. I know that it's to keep with the astronomical calendar, but it's still funny to me. What's also funny is the popular tradition in some countries that a woman may propose to a man on February 29. And if the man refuses, he then is obligated to give the woman money or buy her a dress. In upper-class societies in Europe, if the man refuses marriage, he then must purchase 12 pairs of gloves for the woman, suggesting that the gloves are to hide the woman's embarrassment of not having an engagement ring. In Ireland, the tradition is supposed to originate from a deal that Saint Bridget struck with Saint Patrick. This I read on wikipedia.  Which reminds me of the movie Leap Year. That was a cute movie. Here's the trailer:



HAPPY LEAP DAY TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD YEAR! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment