Wednesday, February 8, 2012

ROOM

I just finished listening to an audiobook today. Room by Emma Donoghue. You may be wondering, Why'd you listen to it instead of read it? Well, I'll tell you why. So I actually read 20 pages or so before I had to return it to the library. I was reading other books at the time and I though I should finish those first. The next time I re-borrowed the book, I also borrowed the PLAYAWAY version. Side-note: PLAYAWAY's are so cool. They are these little mp3 players that is just the audiobook. So you just plug in your earphones and listen. No changing of CDs or downloading it to your ipod. You borrow it, or buy it, and it's ready to be listened to. I think they are one of the coolest inventions ever. Back on track: So I was planning on reading the book and then listening to it. I usually like to have read a book before listening to it. I know, I'm a little weird. Well, when I got it, I was curious to what it sounded like, so I figured I'd already read some of the book, so it could hurt to just listen to a minute of it. But ten seconds in and I was hooked. Each of the characters are read by different people. So Jack sounds like a five-year-old. Ma sounds like his mother. Even Old Nick sounds like a creep. The officers, her mom, anyone, you name them, they have a distinctive voice all their own. So listening to it was like watching a movie. And after I started listening to it, I came to the realization that I would be listening to it rather than reading it. So that's what I did. I highly recommend listening to the audiobook. It really is amazing. The story is already amazing on it's own. But if you've read it, take a listen and see what I mean. No, he doesn't sound like what I thought Jack would sound like, but who really ever sounds like what we imagine in our brains? But by the end, he was the only voice for Jack in my brain. (Obviously.) I hope they make this into a movie. It definitely has that feeling about it. Who would play Jack? Hmmm. Well, that was my short little bit about it. I don't want to give away any spoilers (not that anyone else but me reads this blog anyways, haha) so I won't talk about the actual story here. But this book really makes you think. And I just loved it so much. So, goodbye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment