Monday, May 6, 2013

Safekeeping

Safekeeping by Karen Hesse


Book Description from Amazon.com:

Radley’s parents had warned her that all hell would break loose if the American People's Party took power. And now, with the president assassinated and the government cracking down on citizens, the news is filled with images of vigilante groups, frenzied looting, and police raids. It seems as if all hell has broken loose.

Coming back from volunteering abroad, Radley just wants to get home to Vermont, and the comfort and safety of her parents. Travel restrictions and delays are worse than ever, and by the time Radley’s plane lands in New Hampshire, she’s been traveling for over twenty-four hours. Exhausted, she heads outside to find her parents—who always come, day or night, no matter when or where she lands—aren’t there.

Her cell phone is dead, her credit cards are worthless, and she doesn’t have the proper travel papers to cross state lines. Out of money and options, Radley starts walking. . . .

Illustrated with 50 of her own haunting and beautiful photographs, this is a vision of a future America that only Karen Hesse could write: real, gripping, and deeply personal.


I am so glad I picked up this book from the library. I was just browsing one day, when it caught my eye. I knew I had to read it. Having finished it, I know I was right. It was a hidden treasure waiting to be found. This book is hope amidst great tragedy. An unwanted, but nonetheless necessary, journey. It shows what you can accomplish when you have no other choice but to keep moving.

With all of the imagery (through words and photos,) you can't not feel like you are there in that time. It's real. Scary real. As though something of this nature could very well happen. As though it has happened or is happening.

Radley traveled far from home. Forced to either be strong or wither away. Radley was able to find herself. She realized what she was capable of. And who she wanted to be.

Reading this book makes me remember all that I have. I should take advantage of it, rather than take it for granted. I have more than enough. I have a loving family. I have a home. I have food and clean water. I have electricity. I have safety. I am blessed day in and day out. Reading about Radley's time in Haiti, working in the orphanage, made me even more eager to go and serve in a third world country. Or something along those lines. That would be amazing to work at an orphanage. All those poor babies who need someone to hold them, someone to love them. I want to be that person.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"These fleeting moments of kindness give me hope that the world is not completely lost."

"As long as you live, it is never too late to make amends. Take my advice, child. Don't waste your precious life with regrets and sorrow. Find a way to make right what was wrong, and then move on."

"... you are so young. You have so much yet to learn, about yourself, about the world. The way you live your life now, that is how you make amends to those you have lost, that is how you honor them."

Now go. Read this book. You will most surely not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment