Friday, May 10, 2013

The Great Gatsby

It was one of those days. I woke up and thought, "hey, I feel like wearing a dress today." So I did. With some black tights. And my converse, of course. Hair braided. Work was fun. Kids were happy. I was happy.

This week has been Teacher Appreciation Week. So we teachers got lots of yummy goodies. Delicioso. Manapua. Apple Napples from Zippy's (I didn't eat any of these though because I don't like them.) Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. Fudge. Cocoa Puffs from Liliha Bakery. Yummy. Tummy.

After work I went out with my friends to the movies. Guess what we saw. The Great Gatsby. Oh my goodness! That was seriously amazing. I was not expecting that. I was visually stunned. So colorful. So beautiful. The camera panning. The little details. Down to the various colorful patterned pillows that Gatsby sat on while Nick and Daisy were dancing. The music. Jay-Z. BeyoncĂ©. I love how they took current songs and 1920's-fied them. Crazy in Love, as it played when Gatsby was bringing the flowers under the many umbrellas to Nick's home. Gatsby was literally "crazy in love" with Daisy. I mean, every thing he did was out of love for Daisy. What he thought she'd want. What he envisioned for his future. He created his entire world just for her. So hopeful. So enraptured by all that he remembered of her. All of his dreams. Disillusioned. I liked how they played up the clock scene. Gatsby fumbling nervously like a little boy. Shaky shyness. I now understand why they also had a 3D version. I felt like I was flying at some points in the movie. Soaring over the city. I loved the written words. And how it snowed typewriter letters at one point. Snowing letters! So different. So fun! The letters dissolved. And flowed. Gatbsy's parties. They looked so fun. I love all of the outfits! The dresses! The head pieces! Gorgeous. The glitter. The fireworks. His mansion was humongous. Fast driving. The slow motioned parts. So delicate. This movie had so many different aspects that added up to amazingness. So much going on. The contrast between the gray "slums" and the colorful "exotically rich" lifestyles. The significance of the green light. The way that it felt word for word out of the book. For the most part at least. The actors were marvelous. When I got home, I was still trying to comprehend all that I saw. It's taking control of my mind's eye. I'm still a bit overwhelmed. But in a good way. A really good way.

Crazy In Love - Emeli Sande feat. The Bryan Ferry Orchestra

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

No comments:

Post a Comment